At the beginning, the square was named Adolf Frederiks Torg after King Adolf Friedrich.
Until 1905 there was a market place.
In 1959 it was renamed to avoid confusion with Adolf Fredrikskyrkan, the suggestion came 1923.
The new name refers to Mariakyrka.
North passes the Hornsgatan and south the St. Paulsgatan. The Swedenborgsgatan, named after Emanuel Swedenborg, begins there and runs south.
At the south end of the square stands the St. Paul's Kyrkan, the oldest Methodist movement in Sweden.
In the park stands a bust of Swedenborg and at the southern end copies of the statues "Tjusningen" and "Snöklockan" by Gustav Nordahl.
The fountain in the middle of the square is adorned by the sculpture "Torsfiske" by Anders Henrik Wissler, which was established in 1903 and which shows the Scandinavian god Thor when he killed the sea serpent Jörmungandr.